Pests at sea? Yes, pests are found on board ships, yachts and boats of any size. Find out what are the most common boat pests, and how you can avoid an infestation.
Most common pests found in boats
Cockroaches and Ants
These are the most common pests found at sea. They easily come on board (mostly through hitchhiking), and all they need is food, shelter, and fresh water – found on all watercraft.
Rats and Mice
Like a home, sea vessels are vulnerable to rat and mice infestations. Whether docked on water or land, rats and mice can board your vessel through holes as small as a 10-cent coin. Rats can swim and scale mooring ropes and chains – so getting on board is a common occurrence.
They can cause serious damage to wiring, fixtures, and fittings due to their incessant need to gnaw. Physical damage can lead to costly repairs and even pose a fire hazard.
Fleas and bed bugs
Commonly associated with pets and hotels, fleas and bed bugs can also find their way on boats. Bed bugs are great travelers and often hitch a ride on luggage. Fleas can travel on human or animal hosts. Bed bugs hide in hard-to-reach places like in appliances, clocks, bags, beds and other furnishings.
Pest Control Tips for Your Boat
- Store food in sealed containers.
- Dispose all garbage properly and leave food scraps around.
- Keep food and dining areas clean of food scraps, food/drink spillages.
- Inspect all incoming bags and luggage and boxes for pests, especially for cockroaches and bed bugs.
- Seal cracks and crevices can provide a harbourage for pests.
- If you have an infestation, please do not try to solve the problem yourself, especially if there are signs of termite activity. Call a trusted professional to assess what needs to be done and offer you the most appropriate solutions.
Professional pest control for your boat
Flick Anticimex offers pest control for boats and all types of watercraft. Contact us today to see what we can do for your boat or yacht. Call 0800 101 969!